Saturday, March 29, 2014

...hair of the camelid

So, here is the thing.  I grew up with horses. Lots of 'em.  They don't scare me.   But, honestly, these critters kind of creep me out a bit.  I haven't spent enough time around them to get familiar with their habits and little quirks.
Llamas on the left ~ Alpacas on the right.  At the farm where I attend spinning lessons from Kate.
It's not Kate's farm it belongs to Susan. 
Three bags full.  This is alpaca fiber from a nice farm in Michigan.  I have never spun alpaca before.  I purchased a 2 ply hand spun hank at the Kentucky Fiber Festival a few years back and made a simple ribbed hat.  This simple hat was the go-to hat for all heads in the household.  It seems to fit everyone.  M had taken to wearing it over her dreadlocks (when she had them).  She had taken them out and was still wearing this hat when we made a run to Meijer and some how it became lost. Never to be found.    This fiber was on sale due to the farmers moving south, so I thought I would give it a try and attempt to create the beloved Alpaca Hat.  Of course, I will let you know how that turns out.   My previous alpaca adventure is here.

1 comment:

  1. I love spinning Alpaca fiber or Alpaca wool blends. It is one of my favorites! I spun quite a bit of it in my earliest days of spinning. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete